Safety and Apparel Ltd Hard Hat Recycling
It is important for Safety and Apparel Ltd to accept responsibility for the harmful effects its operations have on both the local and global environment and to commit to reducing them. In meeting this commitment Safety and Apparel Ltd wishes to conduct all its activities with a high standard of care. This involves maximising the reduction of waste and the prevention of pollution. Safety and Apparel Ltd have had enquiries from our customers about the disposal of hard hats when they either become damaged or expired. In mid-2017 an investigation by the EMS Team was commenced to investigate New Zealand and International options. The hard hats Safety and Apparel Ltd supply annually are:
- Made of polypropene. This plastic cannot be incinerated as this is toxic. As such, they represent a significant and polluting waste stream if not recycled.
We have partnered with Astron Plastics
Astron Plastics has been at the forefront of plastic recycling for over 30 years and continues to be a market leader in converting plastic scrap into recycled plastic resin, AS4702 underground cable covers and recycled slip sheets. Astron Plastics has recycling and manufacturing facilities in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland and Christchurch. They have specialist machinery built to process and recycle hard hats. The hats are broken up into their components and shredded into high-quality granules which can be used to produce products of high recycled content. This initiative is both beneficial for the environment and represents health and safety best practice.
The Process for Return
Our Collection bin is situated at our Hamilton Distribution Centre.
Customers and organisations wishing to use this service can:
- Drop helmets to any one of our three branches.
- Send them by courier with everything removed, to our Hamilton Distribution Centre which is our collection point.
Please ensure that:
- The harnesses in the hard hats are removed.
- Any stickers on the hard hats are removed.